Hi Larry and Jukka,

Just fixed this problem as you suggested (deleting sbn, sbx and qix when shp is written)

Check next NB (svn 2776)

Michaël

Le 15/02/2012 23:53, Michaël Michaud a écrit :
Hi Larry, Jukka,

Deleting index files when the .shp is written back to disk seems safe and easy.

Making a test to see how zipped shapefile can be handled,
I just discover that OpenJUMP let you modify a file issued from a zip,
but throw a warning when you want to save it.
Need to check if zipped files can be tagged as read-only.

Michaël

I just ran into an issue with SkyJUMP and I assume OpenJUMP (since our shapefile drivers are the same). When I add features to a shapefile layer that was created by ESRI and save changes, the SBN and SBX optional spatial index files are not updated (when present), This causes problems when viewing in ESRI-based software which assumes that the spatial indexes are up to date with their associated shapefiles.

According to Wikipedia, these index files are not supported by any software except ESRI and are "not strictly necessary." My testing seems to confirm that deleting them does no harm. I suggest that we check for the existence of shapefiles with.sbn and .sbx extensions (not to be confused with SHX database index files) and delete them as part of the process of writing or updating a shapefile. This should probably go at the end of com.vividsolutions.jump.io.ShapefileWriter.write.

Comments?

regards,

Larry Becker
ISA