Hi,
> all jar/zip files are currently scanned for e.g. *Extension.class and
> PluginManager tries to load the class as Configuration. If this succeeds the
> class is saved to a list for later initialization.
>
> this is done every time oj starts up, athough the files in lib/ext usually do
> not change between every startup. accessing files over network grows slower,
> the more files have to be accessed (latency per request) so it'd make sense
> to cache the extension classnames found in one jar and not to scan until the
> jar file effectively changes.
I see, it makes sense now.
Could be useful for network usage.

FYI, from what I could observed, when the plugin loading system is
scanning the URL
from the classpath there is a big overhead when there are many files,
not many classes.

Exemple :
All the Sextante algorithm (more than a hundred) classes are dynamically
loaded (using forName() and newInstance()) in a few seconds (2 or 3
seconds max)
When FillPattern images was added, each single forname(classname) and
class.newInstance() was 4x or 5x slower !
which rapidly made the total loading time grow to 20 s.

Michaël