Bugs item #3590407, was opened at 2012-11-27 09:30
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by mentaer
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=679906&aid=3590407&group_id=118054

not just the latest update.
Category: OpenJUMP - Menu - File
Group: None

Initial Comment:
OpenJUMP 1.5.2 (and RC 1.6?) seem to hang for some image types according to a
user report in the forum:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jump-pilot/forums/forum/729479/topic/6269315

I attach the two images send by the user:
- Scan-121105-0002.tif: can't load through "Add image layer", but works fine
with "Sextante raster":
- E020N30_ql.png: example of PNG image that "hangs" OpenJUMP (also with
Sextante raster)

Date: 2012-11-28 05:39

Message:
turns out the reporter in the forum entry was kind of a Pro, because I
wrote again with his findings which confirm ours. Interesting additional
info is that he used a photoshop tool for the georeferencing.
=================
By: klonuo

Hi Stefan and Michael

TIFF image attached in my previous reply is scanned and georeferenced. It
looks
like the problem is with this particular georeferenced image made by
"Geographic Imager" for Photoshop.

TIFF images georeferenced with gdal for example, have no problems.

Also some not georeferenced TIFFs can be loaded some won't
>From very quick investigation, perhaps uncompressed TIFFs can't be loaded
with "Add Image Layer".

Cheers

from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jump-pilot/forums/forum/729479/topic/6269315/

Comment By: ede (edso)
Date: 2012-11-28 03:10

Message:
then the user in the forum thread must be mistaken. he wrote:
"TIFF files were just scans. Here is link to example file that can't load
through "Add image layer", but works fine with "Sextante raster":
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6735093/temp/Scan-121105-0002.tif";

jukka: you can try the latest snapshot. it should give you a more
meaningful error on trying to load the tiff with 'add image layer'.

..ede

Comment By: Jukka Rahkonen (jratike80)
Date: 2012-11-28 03:05

Message:
About geotiff validity, it is a valid geotiff but georeferencing with GCPs
is not so common. Use gdalinfo for seeing the details. Myself I would use
gdalwarp for converting the image into more common geotiff type.

Comment By: Jukka Rahkonen (jratike80)
Date: 2012-11-28 03:01

Message:
Tried again with 64-bit Windows 7 and 32-bit Java 1.6.0_37.  Png image is
opened but tiff not. Resulting errors in attachment. Tried with Add image
layer and File-Open-File.

Comment By: ede (edso)
Date: 2012-11-28 02:53

Message:
ok, just read the forum thread.. obviously Michael already found out pretty
much the same already. we should really stick with bug ticket on issues
like that, as these are the only one communicated to the mailing list and
devs keep updated this way.

.. anyway, two things

A) can't the user simply deliver a worldfile for the tif?
B) as the 'Add image layer' does not hang at all i close this bug as
fixed.

..ede

Comment By: ede (edso)
Date: 2012-11-28 02:47

Message:
my guess would be it's the usual problem with jai. the user probably has
some other versions of jai jars laying around in jre folder and these take
precedence over our own.

..ede

Comment By: ede (edso)
Date: 2012-11-28 02:44

Message:
hmmm,

tried with current trunk 3085 from within eclipse on win7. used 'add image
layer' on both attached files and _nothing_ hangs.

E020N30_ql.png loads fine showing some kind of map with legend and such.

Scan-121105-0002.tif runs and tells there were errors. Attributviewer says
see screnshot below: 'Neither geotiff tags nor valid worldfile found.'
does the tiff has the proper tag?

Date: 2012-11-28 01:37

Message:
One more thing about the tif file, it is georeferenced by attaching four
ground control points into the GeoTIFF metadata and I doubt that the old
image loader supports that system.

Comment By: Jukka Rahkonen (jratike80)
Date: 2012-11-27 21:52

Message:
Some test result follow.
The png image contain some raw data (bin8, from Photoshop?). I rewrote the
file  with GDAL into another png file and OpenJUMP can open it. The same
happens if I save the png file again with IrfanView. The original png is
obviously valid but there is something in it that makes OpenJUMP to fail
with it.

The tif file is using LZW compression which may make troubles.

Comment By: mentaer (mentaer)
Date: 2012-11-27 09:34

Message:
I could not upload the tif file so here the link (maybe it is still there
then... but I have it on my machine too)