Really Stefan these were my main doubts.

- if someone loads a shapefile (or raster) with geographic coordinates
stored your change would still be showing meters (or do I misunderstand
your proposal?).
Right now Coordinatelistmetrics always shows units as if they were metric
even on geographic coordinates. The test, try to open a EPSG 4326 wms
service and digit a linestring or polygon. On lat/lon maps distance/area
displayed on bottom bar are not true, Angles are not corrected.

- what happens if the user has for instance everything in "cm" or "mm" as
he may work with some really tiny stuff (e.g., model trains?). What happens
then? How will you be able to display the right units when you add "m"?
That is also what happens also with the AdvancedMeasure tools: if you
measure on a mm or cm map the output will always show "m".

Even having a valid project coordinate system means a huge work to change
many plugins, calculate area, perimeter, statistic tools, advancedmeasure
tools, etc...

The only solution, most simple one, is an option panel which allows user to
choose a) Unit of the map and b) Unit of measures c)  relative scale, like
gvsig or Kosmo. So user don't have to care about the crs. For lat/lon maps
there are other solutions, just give a look at last version of
measureextension plugin (
http://sourceforge.net/projects/opensit/files/Openjump/PlugIn/MeasureExtension/
)

Peppe