Dear Michael

I suspect the issues raised by Larry are central to the issues I have had with printing. In my printer plugin I have three options for printing and they each give slightly different results depending on what is being printed (scale of map, size of text and patterns etc). It is often necessary for a user to try each mode then pick the results that best suits their needs.

Ideally the core renderer should do the job, but I appreciate the optimisations that are necessary for the UI may make this not easily possible. I have come across a similar problem with printing large JTables (several thousand rows) where I had to "manually" force the image to be fully painted for the printing process. Otherwise I found that only part of the image would actually get printed, depending on where the UI had scrolled to on the screen.

Whether the problem can be (economically) fixed is another problem

Geoff