Hi,

If you want to play with apache library, you should look at
commons-imaging which is the new name of commons-sanselan.
https://repository.apache.org/index.html#nexus-search;quick~commons-imaging

I had a look to it a few weeks ago for another project, and I had a good
experience
with it but
- project activity seems very low
- we are very far from the capabilities of native tools like
ImageMagik/GraphicsMagik :-(

Michaël