this is streamlined since OJ 1.7.0 .. _all_ plugins are now defined and
customized in
 bin/default-plugins.xml
.
even some that are not delivered with CORE are, because we are now able to
control and override install call made from extensions. e.g. replace an icon or
place the menu entry somewhere else w/o having to modify the plugins source
code. this is done currently with the Printer plugins, search
default-plugin.xml for "print" and you'll see

CONCEPT

the concept works like this. for a plugin to be initialized/installed it has to
have at least one entry like

<plug-in>
  org.openjump.core.ui.plugin.SomePlugIn
</plug-in>

NOTE:
the order of these declarations is important. they reflect the order in which
plugins are initialized, hence installed into the gui. you can however insert
several of these for the same plugin within the xml structure in different
places to finetune the order in which plugins are installed into the different
menus. search e.g. in default-plugins.xml for all instances of
CopySelectedItemsPlugIn

ATTRIBUTES

the plug-in tag can be customized like this

<plug-in initialize="false">
  org.openjump.core.ui.plugin.SomePlugIn
  <menus>
    <main-menu name="I18N.ui.MenuNames.SomePlugIn"
menupath="MenuNames.FILE/SubMenu" icon="famfam/myIcon.png" />
  </menus>
</plug-in>

these values take precedence and override any possibly defined in the install
call of the plugin.
a full list of possible tweaks has yet to be created and added as a commented
header to the xml file.

TL;DR

to remove a plugin from OJ you can either

- remove all plug-in tags containing it's name
 or
- add initialize="false" to it's first plug-in tag

..ede