Hi,

The Adjust polygon boundaries tool did help a lot even it could not resolve all
the problems in my real world data. Perhaps I will find some time to find exact
cases when it fails.

Tool can do all that it promises. It closes the gaps, resolves overlaps, and it
is also adding vertices into the geometries.

After running the process I could find the remaining problems by running
analysis Find coverage gaps and Find coverage overlaps. See the attached images.

For making the work even more fluent it would be nice to make the Add vertex
tool to snap to existing vertices of other features if desired. Now I had to
add vertices to the line first with an offset from the final place and then
slide the new vertex with the Move vertex tool when it does snap.

About snapping, the Draw point tool does not give any hint before about if it
is going to snap of afterwards. With the Draw line and Draw polygon tools the
digitizing line jumps to vertex when it is at the snap distance. Any idea about
how to give such feedback with the Draw point tool? Affects Add vertex tool as
well.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

________________________________
Michaël Michaud wrote:

> Hi,

> The plugin Andrei is refering to is issued from JCS. It is a complex piece of
> code from Martin Davis.
I tried to complete it (to hold holes for example), but it is still not working
in every situation.
If you use it, please report any problem.
> I think the final line should pass through all vertices of the first ring,
> all vertices of the second ring,
plus projections of first ring vertices onto second ring, plus projections of
second ring vertices
onto first ring.

Michaël

Le 26/03/2015 18:17, Andrei Nacu a écrit :
OK. I thought the polygons were topologically accurate and only the number of
vertices was not matching.
I don't know how the polygon boundaries are adjusted. I think Mike can tell you
better (he made the plug in).

Ideally, the polygon with more vertices and, consequently, a higher level of
detail should serve as reference.
But we also have cases when the polygons simply have gaps and overlaps because
of some excessive generalization or bad digitalization.

Andrei

On Thursday, March 26, 2015 7:05 PM, Giuseppe Aruta
<giuseppe_ar...@yahoo.it><mailto:giuseppe_ar...@yahoo.it> wrote:

If there is a small distance or an overlap,  I feel it is quite complicated to
define common border between the polygons. A medium point between the two
borders? Or the border of one of the polygon that should consider as the
"valid" one?

<jukka.rahko...@maanmittauslaitos.fi<mailto:jukka.rahko...@maanmittauslaitos.fi>>:
Hi,

I have a polygon layer where the common borders do not always have exactly same
vertices.
I try to show the case as ASCII:

Do we have to tool that can add nodes to polygon boundaries so that after the
operation both A and B would have 5 same vertices? The Noder tool with
Snap-Rounding does not feel quite right because I feel that it may move the
existing nodes a bit. Notice that usually there is no intersection where the
node is missing but there is a small distance across an overlap or gap area to
the other line.

-Jukka Rahkonen-