Hi Brian,
Thanks to open discussion.  We probably had ( as list) a similar discussion
some months ago. Jython was ported many years ago from Skyjump by Larry
Becker one of developer of Skyjump ( and former active member and founder
of OJ project).
Unfortunately Jython hasn't been upgraded in those years as none of our
actual small OJ community seems to work ( or to develop) with jython.
Larry seemed to be the unique.
We can try to upgrade jython but I am afraid we can break some
compatibilities (recently I had to uncomment one of jython tools as its
usage was freezing Openjump).
I feel we should wait that some jython developer join our community and
help us to upgrade it.
Let us wait the opinion of other members. Hopefully Larry is still listening
Best regards