From: "Rahkonen Jukka (MML)" <jukka.rahko...@maanmittauslaitos.fi>
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 8:48am
To: "OpenJump develop and use" <jump-pilot-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [JPP-Devel] on the fly transformation

Hi,

That is not a problem at all for OpenJUMP because it does not even read .prj
file. OpenJUMP takes the coordinates as they are and places the features on the
map. Shapes can be edited and saved and projection remains the same as it was.
And if you create a new layer and save that as shapefile OpenJUMP writes only
the compulsory .shp, .shx and .dbf parts. It is up to user to know what
coordinate system was used for creating the data.  Also the native JUMP JML
format does not have any place to store the projection info. For using the
coordinate transformation plugin user needs to somehow know the source SRID and
feed it manually. PostGIS layers seem to be exception and for those the native
SRID is automatically known.

That OpenJUMP is happy without .prj does not mean that OpenJUMP user is also
happy. Is your tool trying to guess the projection somehow like in this web
service http://projfinder.com/?

-Jukka Rahkonen-

manf...@egger-gis.at wrote:

Thank you for your fast response. What about shapefiles missing a .prj.

Do you have a solution for this classic projection problems? This is what my
tool deals with.

Best regards,

Manfred