Of coarse we already have the good Michael"s plugin that allows
reprojection of layers( lpoint f)

Inviato con AquaMail per Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

LoopThis thread needs a larger explanation.
I try to simplify it.
other GIS like Kosmo or GVSig implemented Coordinate system framework
following these steps:
a) first step they add a projection object to the task (usually as EPSG or
ESRI code). In Kosmo user has to set that. QGIS also allows to set Task
projection loading that from the first loadedf file (with SRID).
b) QGIS define the Unit of the task from SRID ( ex. 4326>degree,
32632>metre) while GvSig And Kosmo require to set it manually.
c) a projection object is set to each loaded layer. This is done reading
layer metadata or manually
d) if the task and the layer projection object are different a
transformation should be set. Those software use ( for vector) proj4
libraries. In this step Qgis and newer gvsig allows on fly reprojection.
e) this transformation is taken into account only by layer renderes on the
workbench. Which changes geometry before drawing it.
This transformation is saved into project file and taken into account
whenever the project file is loaded.
f) Note that Kosmo (and probably Gvsig) doesn't allow any spatial operation
on reprojected layers. The only way to modify them is to save them reprojected.

Recently I did few modifications on shape file reading in order to expand
capability to set layer SRId  when reading file. Layer properties plugins
already have this capability for both raster and vector ( included
geotif*). Together with database and wfs capability to record layer srid we
probably get almost point C of my list.

My idea is to work on point A and B, integrating parts if my measure plugin
in to OJ core in order to have measurements\zoom when task projection is
geographic or possibility that oj display meter or feet unit on
measurements \ scale bar.
The other points can be faced in the future, including in fly reprojection.

My project:
1) Oj already as a srid registry embedded that I added when I defined srid
detection capability from auxiliary files. It is a simple list of
projection, a series of lines with only srid number and a proj. description
( ex <32632>;<WGS 84 UTM zone 32>), build using proj4 registries and excel.
I could expand each line with unit ( ex <32632>;<WGS 84 UTM zone 32>;<metre>)
2) expand Task class with srid code and unit. User can define manually .
3) modify measure /zoom plugins according units, meter, foot, degree ( in
this last case I would limit only to wgs84 ) using classes fro my measure
plugin.

Peppe

*