On 10.10.2016 08:43, Rahkonen Jukka (MML) wrote:
> It is only the 41 seconds wait with initial opening.  I don't believe that
> the lag comes from the ECW/JPEG2000 SDK because it is the same, nor from GDAL
> because QGIS opens images fast. We do not have much left and it must be
> either ImageIO-ext part or the way how OpenJUMP is discussing with it that
> makes opening unnecessary slow. I can see something about JAI in the logs,
> and I see also that the GDAL version reserves much more memory. I wonder if
> ImageIO is creating pyramid layers or some cache when it loads the image
> initially.

i will try to compare both implementations or create a barebone gdal image
loader to exclude JAI issues, maybe the lag is something we can fix on our side.

> I believe we could now use also the ECW/JP2 SDK version 5.x, but there is one
> requirement that OpenJUMP can't probably fulfill at the moment: it should be
> able to read also data through the net with ECWP protocol. Otherwise the
> EULA, which can be found inside the OJ's gdal extension libraries (at the end
> of the ECW5License.rtf) does not look bad:
SNIP

on the first glance i would agree. are there any other OS softwares according
to you're knowledge that already ship these binaries. that would be assuring to
know.

..ede