Mike & All,

just had a look at r5543 and saw that FeatureSchema since the first commit in
2005 has a field and getter/setter for
com.vividsolutions.jump.coordsys.CoordinateSystem, which is a light wrapper
around an EPSG code.

that is news to me and means that the SRID is already attached to vector
layers, as every FeatureCollection holds a FeatureSchema.

not sure what was difficult to add the SRID support to the SHP writer in that
case Mike. could you explain?

..ede