With respect to the branching issue...

It may be a silly idea, but how about migrating to and importing to github - as a solution?

The last stable version will then be on SVN and work with the new JTS will be on Github. So the SVN version is always intact/a back-up for later on.

But of course, I have no idea what you actually think about Github...

cheers,
stefan

PS: ede, i managed to download the new OJ version, but I did not even manage to install/open the zip due to a lack of time (I have to hand in my 3-year advancements research project report by next week ). So no promises at all.