Actually Image Raster (Sextante) uses class
com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.imagery.geoimg.GeoReferencedRaster to
read an image.

@Michael ASTGTMV003_N08W084_de file is a geotiff  even it has a tfw file:
everythimes that OJ loads a till image,  even geotiff,  it creates a new
worldfile

I made this test:
a) load ASTGTMV003_N08W084_dem with tfw on the view as Sextante
b) create its envelope (via tool on Layer tree). This gives me the right
position of the image. Remember that everytimes that a TIFF image, even
geotiff, is loaded as SExtante a new worldfile is created
c) remove ASTGTMV003_N08W084_dem from the view
d) delate ASTGTMV003_N08W084_dem worldfile
e) reload ASTGTMV003_N08W084_dem and verify that it has a  correct position
into the envelope

Using the other image loaded,
all fails to load either they don't find tags (even if they are embedded
into the file) or they cannot read a worldfile