On 9/22/2020 13:49, Giuseppe Aruta wrote:
+       private static ImageAndMetadata readImage(File tiffFile, int
overviewIndex, int indexStart, Point originalSize,
+           Resolution originalCellSize, Envelope wholeImageEnvelope, Envelope
viewportEnvelope, double noDataValue,
+           Stats stats) throws IOException, NoninvertibleTransformException {
+
+         ImageInputStream imageInputStream =
ImageIO.createImageInputStream(tiffFile);
+         Iterator<ImageReader> iterator =
ImageIO.getImageReaders(imageInputStream);

this seems to be a leftover. we want to enforce a specific TIFF reader, which
seems not to be done here.

why exactly are there two readImage() methods needed anyway? one should
suffice. can you remove it?

Not sure. As it tries to read overviews of a file from an external .ovr file. I
have never used or found it in projects. Once I tried to save a tiff with
overviews using QGIS: I had back two files, a TIF and a OVR one. But when I
tried to load this  couple into OpenJUMP, it took so long that I gave up. AFAIR
this was a request of many years ago from someone of the list

why not remove it then, if it's not used or working anyway? if you want to keep
it, to have a go at it in the future, i'd suggest to at least to deactivate it,
just to make sure it is no code path used accidentially.

a hack i use sometimes is to add

// explain why!
if (true) throw new java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException();

before some code i want to deactivate. this way the code does not have to be
commented out and stays readable but will not be used anyway.

..ede