On 1/20/2021 12:54, Eric wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 19/01/2021 13:13, edgar.sol...@web.de wrote:
>> On 1/19/2021 9:19, Michaud Michael wrote:
>>> Hi Jumpers
>>>
>>> Thanks to Eric's guide, I could initialize openjump project on gitub
>>> (openjump-gis/openjump) and convert it to jts 1.18.
>>>
>>> It is not perfect (I could not convert 1.5 post_release
>>> <https://sourceforge.net/p/jump-pilot/code/HEAD/tree/core/tags/1.5%20post_release>
>>>  tag because of the whitespace in the name :-(), but all in all, I think it
>>> is OK.
>> tag '1.5 post_release' seems to be there with a %20, or am i missing
>> something?
>>
>>> Please, have a look and let me know if you think so.
>> commit history seem to be identical to sf.net svn, though we're missing
>> 2years because of an improper svn mov from /trunk/openjump to /trunk/core .
>> just for completeness sake we should probably transfer this as into a
>> history branch if someone wants to research changes to a specific source
>> file.
> Would you consider creating a specific repository for these 2 years rather
> than a branch? It would probably reduce the size of the main repository,
> which is already quite large (~750MB).
> See these considerations:
> https://docs.github.com/en/github/managing-large-files/what-is-my-disk-quota#file-and-repository-size-limitations

sounds perfectly reasonable. these 2 missing years are meant as an archive for
researching purposes only anyways.

> As the OJ repository will only come larger over time, it could slow the
> fetching process.
>
> The creation of a specific repository could probably be considered as well to
> store the former SVN "branches", i.e. oj_stable_1_2 (updated 14 years ago by
> Stefan Steiniger), 1.2 (updated 14 years ago by Stefan Steiniger), paustin
> (updated 14 years ago by Paul Austin), 1.3 (updated 12 years ago by Stefan
> Steiniger), sstein@1863 (updated 11 years ago by Larry Becker) and
> stable%201.5 (updated 9 years ago by Michael Michaud). All the tags would
> stay, including the ones in link with the 1.2 and 1.3 versions listed in
> branches (were these branches some pre-release tests?).

currently we dropped those. looking like private devel/test branches to me
which can be discarded.

>>> I could compile but I still have a problem to run maven.
>>>
>>> I did not migrate plugins at all (not sure how we must proceed yet, some
>>> options must be discussed)
>> sure, one step after the other. no need to hurry things. generally i'd be in
>> favour of one branch per plugin, but might be swayed otherwise.
>
> Ede, do you mean one repository per plugin rather than one branch?

indeed. no reason to keep all plugins in one plugin repo.

> If in the future, the plan is to create/add a plugin manager,

there is, since actually always ;)

>the option to create a repository per plugin could facilitate their
>maintenance, especially if the OJ distribution can be used as a Maven
>dependency for these plugins.

totally

>>> There are probably plenty of things to improve and fix before we start
>>> again to add new code.
>>>
>>> I'll try to list some more precise points to discuss in a future mail.
>> ok, looking forward to it. ..ede
>
> Eric

thanks!.. ede