Hi Monika,

RFC 4447 says "Note that the PW label must always be at the bottom of
the packet's label stack, and labels MUST be allocated from the
per-platform label space." So I think we shouldn't use per-interface labels.
The RFC says also " When PE2 receives a packet over a pseudowire, it
must be able to determine that the packet was in fact received over a
pseudowire, and it must be able to associate that packet with a
particular pseudowire."

In my opinion it is better to use per-platform labels for example in
networks implementing fast re-route. In that case the packets form PW
can be received on different interfaces (depending on network state).
Probably it is easier to build and maintain FEC. I think choosing
per-interface or per-platform label space is not scaling problem too,
because it has no influence on FEC size. As far as I'm concerned if
multiple paths exists between PEs, the per-platform label space is
closer to "per-peer".

Regards

Tomek

Monika M pisze:
> IETF-56 mpls minute's interop (ISOCORE) testing report claims following
> point as one of the interop issue
>
> "Some vendors were advertising per-interface label space for targeted LDP
> sessions when they should have been using per-platform labels due to an
> ambiguity in the Martini signaling draft"
>
> Does that mean we can never use per-interface label space for PW label?
> Can't we see "per-interface" as "per-peer" in L2VPN? (i.e) Use of same label
> for two peers for scalability? May be we need extra intelligence in
> hardware.!!!
>

> Regards,
> Monika.

Tomasz Szewczyk
Poznan Supercomputing and Networking Center
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

fax: +48 61 8525954