Fiddling with the MX for a POC-like session, I found a couple of things others may find interesting...

1) On etherchannel bundles, traffic is distributed per destination-mac, per source-mac, or both. Unfortunately, this is not configurable on a per-link basis, only globally. So, for us, this means we will be using both...

"forwarding-options hash-key family multiservice ..."

2) On an IRB interfaces, there is the annoying requirement of specifying a layer-2 interface in a static arp definition. This annoying requirement remains true even in the case of a multicast-mac. For some reason, configuring static ARP means the MX can't learn that MAC address... which is highly inconvenient when you need to use a multicast MAC address (like active/active multicast mac firewall configurations).

3) To be 100% compatible with Cisco's PVST+, you need to use "force-version" and make sure you are configured for STP and not rapid-pvst...

4) VRRP uses a virtual MAC, so there is no dependency on gratuitous ARPs or ARP timeout parameters on hosts. Not a big surprise or anything, but it was nice to see it work as expected...

5) These are MDI-crossover ports. If you are doing a core-switch swap with existing "switches" you will need to put cross-over cables in!!!