Hi Clarke .. what's the config ? Are you using irb interfaces ?
If no irb, and the PE1 is directly connected to CE1, on interface down the VPLS primary should switchover.

cheers
Sean

I have a VPLS multi-homed environment with two MX routers (PE1 and PE2) connected to a single ethernet switch (CE1). I have PE1 configured with site-preference as "primary" and PE2 as "backup". The interfaces going to CE1 are the only interfaces configured in the multi-homed site on each router.

I am using VPLS with LDP for the label switched paths and BGP for the L2 signaling. This is with Junos 9.6. If I manually change the site preference between PE1 and PE2, the correct site is elected as expected.

However, if I physically disconnect the interface between PE1 and CE1, I would expect that PE1 would realize that there are no more active interfaces left on the site and then failover to PE2 for it to become the new primary.

Unfortunately, this isn't happening. From the perspective of PE1, the VPLS site on PE2 is shown as "RN", remote site not designated. From the perspective of PE2, the site is shown as "LN", local site not designated. So, PE1 still thinks it is in charge.

Is this a configuration error on my part, or is this FAD? Is there some sort of workaround that I can implement to force a new "primary" site election between PE1 and PE2 in the event of a link failure at PE1?

Clarke Morledge
College of William and Mary
Jones Hall (Room 18)
Williamsburg VA 23187