Hey everyone,

I'm working on developing JUNOS support for the existing features in
our automation software.  We are purchasing two MXes next quarter and
don't have lab MXes for me to develop against.

Instead, I have setup a pair of J2360s with the GigE uPIM.  I was
hoping to develop exactly the same software that will one day talk to
the MXes.  Unfortunately, it seems that the layer 2 feature set of the
J and MX are very different.

All of the documentation claims that the J-series support the
bridge-domains and family bridge style of layer 2 service [1].  But these
won't take any of that config - no bridge-domains, no family bridge.

However, I can configure EX-style layer 2 config with family
ethernet-switching and vlans.  I kinda prefer this, but it looks like
my production MXes don't have this support.

I'm running JUNOS 10.0 on these J-series boxes.  I've read some things
[2] that indicate the CLI is changing.  Is the EX- way of doing things
the way it's all going to go moving forward?  If so, this is a major
omission from the release notes - could break a lot of config.

I mostly want to make sure I'm automating the right target. :)

Ross

[1] -
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos-security/junos-security10.0/junos-security-swconfig-interfaces-and-routing/config-l2-bridging-transparent-mode-chapter.html

[2] - http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/nsp/juniper/19161

--
Ross Vandegrift
r...@kallisti.us

"If the fight gets hot, the songs get hotter.  If the going gets tough,
the songs get tougher."
        --Woody Guthrie