On Dec 9, 2009, at 5:21 PM, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

The behavior we've always seen (from mid 7.x's until today) is that
something seems to "block" the KRT queue while the pending changes keep
piling up, then eventually whatever is causing the blockage clears and
all the routes quickly install immediately thereafter. I saw the exact
same behavior last night during an upgrade to 9.5R3, 263k routes stuck
in Pending state for a hair over 10 minutes, then they all synced in
just a few seconds. But I think it's actually getting worse, because in
older versions the routes that were stuck in pending state didn't seem
to be advertised to peers. This time it seemed to advertise the routes
even though it didn't have them installed in hardware, resulting in
blackholing of traffic.

I went back and forth on this forever (pestering you while doing it), because it was affecting us badly on old M20s. My "lab" boxes would never ever show the problem, but it would happen in on the production routers. I finally gave up and decided to figure out what the difference was between my production configuration and the lab simulation by slowly changing my production config to match the nearly identical lab config.

The problem went away when I removed a BGP session with a peer that was extremely slow to accept routes, and we were exchanging full tables with each other. I think it was some kind of deadlock where the peer wasn't accepting routes because it was blocked trying to send me stuff, and I was in the same boat. Snooping at the TCP layer, I didn't see anything unusual except both peers ended up in a state where they were advertising 0 window size to each other. The moment the KRT queue cleared up, they finished exchanging routes and all was happy.

I can't say for certain that was the problem, but shutting down that peer was a pretty reliable way to clear the KRT queue problem whenever it happened.

-- Kevin