would use a rewrite rule to modify DSCP on egress, so
that its consistent across platforms.

I still prefer the IOS way, where TOS byte values are re-
written on ingress (I believe we began a small petition for
this capability a year or more back, but it didn't gain any
traction). However, it works just as well in JUNOS, just on
egress.

I actually prefer the Junos method for at least some scenarios.

In my case, we connect to several other QoS-aware networks that all use different values for different things (ie: AF41 = EF = AF42 = AF21 = me going crazy). Using Junos's method its very simple to do a different rewrite map on the egress interface toward the other networks. So there's basically a single piece of configuration to make everything function.. and a single place that things could get broken.

However, I would agree that for smaller sites (ie: J-series, SRX, etc) the ingress method is much easier. Having a FULL CoS stanza just to mark some traffic EF is kind of annoying. And I can see the arguments for ingress methods in other networks as well.

Of course this is just my opinion and I certainly don't run a huge network like some of you guys!