I first noticed this with the m120. A workaround is to classify udp to a second best effort egress queue and use a different drop profile. I decided to not deploy this method.

-Michael

On 12/19/2010 1:43 AM, Good One wrote:

thanks for pointing to a URL.. I was expecting that trio architecture MPCs will
allow us to configure protocol options if not on DPC. it does not make sense to
me drop UPD DNS queries if RED comes into play. JNPR we need protocol option on
MXs ... ;)
thanks

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 15:22:12 +0800
Subject: Re: [j-nsp] TCP based RED profile on MX
From: diogo.montag...@gmail.com
To: go...@live.com
CC: juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net

Hi,

On MX you can only configure to protocol any (see the note in the URL below).

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.4/topics/usage-guidelines/cos-configuring-drop-profile-maps-for-schedulers.html

Regards
./diogo -montagner

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Good One<go...@live.com>  wrote:

just a quick one. can you configure red drop profile for tcp traffic only on
MX-Boxes? There is a knob on T-Series so that you can define what protocol you
want to pass through the red profile either tcp/udp but on MX i could not find
that option so it seems if you configure a profile it will analyse/drop any
protocol. And to me dropping a UDP packet using RED profile does not make sense
at the moment.