Hi guys,

I´m working on a EX4200 (2 switches in virtual-chassis config) which is required to be the L3 border edge of a Datacenter. The backbone network presents 4 VRFs to the datacenter with a strange requirement: each VRF must reach a set of hosts in the datacenter, maintaining theirself independent of the other 3 VRFs, and at the same time,each host of the datacenter must reach the others in a full mesh of local connectivity.
OSPF is the protocol required to connect VRFs on the PE with the switch.

So, my approach was the following: on the L3 switch, I created 4 routing instances (virtual router type) with ospf to the related VRF on the PE. On the internal side: a rib-group to copy all interface routes to each instance, so inet.0 is replied 4 times. To bind every internal phisical interface with a particular routing-instances, I use Filtered-Based Forwarding to send the lookup into the right instance (inet.0 is completely replied, so it works for local connectivity also).

This approach worked fine in a lab made with an MX480 and logical-systems.

Now: when I copied the configuration to the switch, I found that the Filter-Based-Forwarding didn't work as into the MX lab: apparently I cannot apply a simple firwall filter with the "routing-instance XXX" accion matching for all packets, like that:

firewall {
  family inet {
    filter LookUp-into-InstanceA {
      term 1 {
        then {
          routing-instance InstanceA;
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

In the EX I needed to separate the packets with a filter like that, because the packets were not routed with the above filter. So the filter is now:

firewall {
  family inet {
    filter LookUp-into-InstanceA {
      term 1 {
        from {
          destination-prefix-list {
             Local-Destinations;
          }
        then accept;
      }
      term 2 {
        then {
          routing-instance InstanceA;
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

and it is working, but the need to filter by destination is very bad: Local-Destination is a prefiz-list with all hosts specific IPs.

More than this: I couldn't use inet.0. I had to create a fifth instance, in which I put all the interfaces, and use it as a default instance.

This was very strange to me: may be that EX4200 behaviour is so different from MX480 one? Anyone know about issues in EX platforms working with routing-instances anf filter-based-forwarding?

Oh, for EX doesn´t exist the next-table options. It should be very useful....

Thanks for your help.

--

Ing. Cristian Frizziero
Av. Honorio Pueyrredón 1475