On Sunday, March 06, 2011 07:41:10 pm Mohammad Salbad wrote:

> The case is that I didn’t change the configuration on the
> switches I just replaced the Ethernet cable with
> wireless backhaul devices and then I can’t ping with
> larger mtu sizes, and this is because the wireless
> devices I’m using for backhaul are limited to 1500 MTU
> size, so I’m wondering if I there is anything I can do
> on the switches to overcome the limitation on the
> wireless backhaul devices, i.e. if I can fragment the
> packet into smaller pieces before sending them to the
> wireless device and combining the packet on the other
> end (something like link fragmentation and
> interleaving).

AFAIK, you cannot perform Layer 2 fragmentation for pure
Ethernet. You'd need to perform fragmentation at the IP
layer if necessary.

I'd match my Ethernet switch MTU with the wireless backhaul
MTU to avoid any future surprises. If larger packets try to
cross this link, fragmentation and reassembly will occur.
While not an ideal situation, IP does allow for this.

Mark.