On Apr 18, 2011, at 10:39 AM, Mark Tinka wrote:

> Yes, I do note that routing protocols tend to love values 6 and 7, but again,
> these can be changed by the user in the data path.

Routers use these markings in order to reserve sufficient queue capacity to
handle control-plane traffic even in the event of link saturation.  I can't
think of a legitimate use-case for marking data-plane traffic as precedence
6/7, and there's an obvious argument per the above for not doing so, heh.

Roland Dobbins <rdobb...@arbor.net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

                The basis of optimism is sheer terror.

                          -- Oscar Wilde