Once upon a time, Chris Adams <cmad...@hiwaay.net> said:
> I'm currently using interface, policer, and filter config like this to
> rate-limit ethernet interfaces to paid bandwidth on an M10i:

I got responses from several people along the same lines, but I figured
I'd summarize my solution for the archives.  Thanks to all that
responded.

Everybody suggested putting the policer directly on the interface and
setting "logical-interface-policer" in the policer.  The downside of
that is that I lose my nice SNMP counters for traffic passed by the
policer.

I did figure a way to still get stats, although they are per-family
(which will require configuring my monitoring system to add them
together):

interfaces {
    fe-1/0/1 {
        vlan-tagging;
        unit 148 {
            description "Some Customer";
            bandwidth 10m;
            vlan-id 148;
            family inet {
                filter {
                    input count;
                    output count;
                }
                policer {
                    input 10meg;
                    output 10meg;
                }
                address x.x.x.x/x;
            }
            family inet6 {
                filter {
                    input count6;
                    output count6;
                }
                policer {
                    input 10meg;
                    output 10meg;
                }
                address xx::x/x;
            }
        }
    }

}
firewall {
    policer 10meg {
        logical-interface-policer;
        if-exceeding {
            bandwidth-limit 10m;
            burst-size-limit 1250000;
        }
        then discard;
    }
    family inet6 {
        filter count6 {
            interface-specific;
            term other {
                then {
                    count rate;
                    accept;
                }
            }
        }
    }
    filter count {
        interface-specific;
        term other {
            then {
                count rate;
                accept;
            }
        }
    }
}

I can monitor the SNMP variables for the "count" and "count6" counter
"rate" and add them together to get the traffic that is actually
sent/received on the interface.  Not quite as nice, but it should work.

--
Chris Adams <cmad...@hiwaay.net>