Hi Keegan,

I think the advertise inactive knob turns that off, but I don't know for
sure because I've never tried it.  I know it's not supported on cisco
routers.  The reason for it is the size of the BGP table.  So if the table
is 400k routes and you have 5 different ISP's and you advertise every route
that would be 2M routes in the table.  Since BGP doesn't allow multiple
version of the same route in the routing table (separate from the BGP table
where incoming routes are stored) you would still only use the original 400K
the other 1.8M routes would just go unused unless you manipulated them some
how.

Advertise inactive is not about what get's advertised - it is about if the best path is advertised or not. And if is decided based on the check if the BGP path to be advertised is inserted in the RIB/FIB or not.

By default Junos and IOS-XR advertise only those best path in BGP which actually are installed into forwarding. Advertising inactive knob will overwrite it.

IOS classic/XE (for historical reasons) advertises all best paths from BGP table and to enforce it not to advertise what has not been installed into RIB/FIB there is knob called "suppress inactive".

Cheers,
R.