On Oct 27, 2011, at 3:38 PM, Tima Maryin wrote:
> On 25.10.2011 20:21, Brad Fleming wrote:
>> Are there any tricks to auto-summarize the contents of a RIB where the
>> tributary routes are not originated locally?
>>
>> Example:
>> Input routes:
>> prefix: 1.0.0.0/16, next-hop: 5.5.5.5
>> prefix: 1.0.1.0/16, next-hop: 5.5.5.5
>> prefix: 1.0.2.0/16, next-hop: 4.4.4.4
>> prefix: 1.0.3.0/16, next-hop: 5.5.5.5
>>
>> Consolidated, Installed routes:
>> prefix: 1.0.0.0/14, next-hop: 5.5.5.5
>> prefix: 1.0.2.0/16, next-hop: 4.4.4.4
>>
>> Basically a way to consolidate total number of prefixes entering the FIB.
>>
>> If such a thing existed we could feed non-Juniper, TCAM-based routers a
>> smaller table but still maintain the advantages of best path, hot potato
>> routing.
>

> If you have got some peers/uplinks which are ISPs with full table there will
> eventually  be scenarios when you will be forced to hack some of you
> aggregates with specifics again and again to avoid blackholing. Since
> customers of those ISPs tends to use specifics to manipulate inbound traffic.
>

> If you're not ISP does 0/0 looks like an option? :)

We're an ISP; just a charitable, not-for-profit one with budget crunch issues
right now. :D

I think we'll end up doing the aggregation approach and sacrificing the ability
to offer BGP services from our aging CAM-based boxes. Fortunately we still have
a reasonable amount of CAM; I'm just thinking what we can do before the
2015-2017 timeframe when the table growth will start to become an actual
problem.

I do very much appreciate all the discussion, links, etc in this thread; I've
learned of multiple new draft RFCs and some new ideas on approaching the issue.
Thanks!