On 2012-02-23, at 1:25 AM, Patrick Okui wrote:

> Well, apart from l3vpns you'll typically want to have your
> infrastructure addresses in your IGP and "internet/customer" addresses
> in BGP. Default AD of 20 for eBGP in IOS means you'll believe an
> advertisement from an external AS before say an OSPF or ISIS one for
> the same exact prefix.[*]

Serendipitous timing of this discussion. Dunno if you guys watch the AUSNOG
list.

Major outage in Telstra (AS1221) Australia today:
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/internet-crashes-for-telstra-customers-20120223-1tpqq.html

A peer of Telstra ended up re-advertising all of Telstra's own routes back to
Telstra as if it originated in the Peers ASN. (a BGP -> OSPF -> BGP
redistribution most likely happened)

If eBGP is better than IS-IS/OSPF, then all Telstra traffic (including routes
to their own website and their own primary DNSs) went to the peer. Traffic
ended up ping-pong'ing between the Peer and Telstra until TTL Expired. (I
happen to be a Telstra xDSL subscriber as well at home - got a few traceroutes
that looked like this).

Naturally a prefix-limit would have helped; or a route-filter prefix-list...
alas apparently neither of these were in effect.

Fun and excitement down under... I have a feeling everyone is re-checking their
BGP stanzas with a fine toothed comb today. =)

- Chris.