On 12-07-12 3:37 PM, Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim wrote:
Hi,

On Jul 12, 2012, at 3:01 PM, Frank Norman wrote:

Now can someone tell me

1) what are the standard models (PPPoE or DHCP ? ) that are being
used in such kind of broadband networks?? and which is more
flexible??

Both are fine from protocol perspective. I've used both and DHCP is
slightly more work if you need IPv6 as if you want to use the
equivalent of option82 in DHCPv4, I'd wager support for the
equivalent in DHCPv6 i.e. RFC3315/3993/3649 are incomplete, at least
for 3 major GPON mfgs from China.

My personal preference would be DHCP as this would allow subs to
forget about remembering PPPoE login info altogether which was a big
deal for us handling customer issues.

Depends - if the equipment can insert DHCP Option82 into a DHCP DISCOVER, it might also be able to insert the equivalent PPPoE tag. That's actually how we authenticate our PPPoE subscribers, we completely ignore username/password.

The advantage of PPPoE is protocol independence. It made it possible for us to roll out IPv6 over PPPoE without changes in the last mile.

However, if we could have used the VLAN-per-customer model we probably wouldn't have bothered with PPPoE.

Disadvantage of both PPPoE and VLAN-per-customer: no effective multicast (unless you run that in a seperate second shared-VLAN).

Mike.