Hi all,

I'm at the start of troubleshooting a strange problem we've
experienced recently with voice signalling (UNIStim) traffic.

Our WAN is based upon a carrier L3VPN but we build IPsec tunnels
(st0.x) over the top and we do not have a full mesh. The end result is
that traffic between "branch" sites needs to "hair-pin" on an
intermediate device (a J or SRX box).

Sometimes (due to OSPF's route selection process when presented with
equal cost routes) the path traffic takes from "A" to "B" is not the
same as the path from "B" to "A" -- the intermediate device to
hair-pin on (for A->B and B->A) is different. In performance terms,
the difference is insignificant. Most of the time the intermediate
devices are sitting next to each other in a rack (e.g. primary and
secondary routers).

Does the SRX do something "special" with asymmetric UDP flows? When I
say UDP I mean UDP generically, because I'm aware of special cases
like "set security flow allow-dns-reply". I have an ever-growing
suspicion that we are throwing packets on the floor in certain
circumstances.

cheers,
Dale (..on the never-ending quest to make SRXs behave like routers w/IPsec)