----- Original Message ----- From: "Saku Ytti" <s...@ytti.fi>
To: <juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net>

Yes it's not fate-sharing forwarding-plane, but it's fate-sharing the whole
control-plane.

No, it is not.
fxp0 is fully functional on backup RE (including Telnet/SSH/SNMP) - and backup RE by default does not run any control plane functions apart from monitoring master RE.

I think this is really my point, you need

* fxp0 for ssh, snmp
* inband for netflow, snmp (if HW)  (redundant)
* rs232 to attempt recovering box from control-plane software failure

Inband for high-perf Netflow - yes.
Inband for SNMP - unless You want subsecond counter updates (for realtime billing maybe?) then no.
And I already answered Your points regarding "SNMP in HW" my other email.

Thanks
Alex