SELECTING means that an OFFER has been sent to the client (or at least the
switch thinks it has relayed it), but the REQUEST hasn't come back from the
client.

I have seen this in some instances where the client is expecting a Unicast
reply from the relay agent rather than a broadcast or vice-versa - fix with:

set forwarding-options dhcp-relay overrides layer2-unicast-replies

Nice tip on the route-suppression statement William - that one has been
annoying me for a while with JDHCPd on the SRX...

Cheers,

Ben