Handy commands...

I've got Juniper ones and a non-Juniper one here:

    Xcvr 51      REV 01   740-038623       QSFP+-40G-CU1M
    Xcvr 52      REV 01   740-038623     QSFP+-40G-CU1M
    Xcvr 53               NON-JNPR              UNKNOWN

And I'm seeing some interesting stuff. On the Juniper cable:

TFXPC0(vty)# show qsfp 1 identifier
  Identifier:             QSFP+
  Connector type:         No Separable Connector
  Encoding:               Unspecified
  Vendor name:            Molex Inc.
  Vendor OUI:             00093A
  Vendor PN:              1110409055
  Vendor Rev:             B

...redacted...

  Transceiver code:
    10G/40G Ethernet:     40GBase-CR4

On the Non working one:

FXPC0(vty)# show qsfp 3 iden
  Identifier:             QSFP
  Connector type:         Copper Pigtail
  Encoding:               Unspecified
  Vendor name:            Molex Inc.
  Vendor OUI:             00093A
  Vendor PN:              112-00178
  Vendor Rev:             A0

...redacted...

  Transceiver code:
    Gigabit Ethernet:     1000Base-CX

So maybe this cable is only 1000Base?  What makes this even more weird is that
the 4300 sees it as the same, but it comes up as 40Gb:

(vty)# show qsfp 1 identifier
  Identifier:             QSFP
  Connector type:         Copper Pigtail
  Encoding:               Unspecified
  Vendor name:            Molex Inc.
  Vendor OUI:             00093A
  Vendor PN:              112-00178
  Vendor Rev:             A0

...redacted...

  Transceiver code:
    Gigabit Ethernet:     1000Base-CX

root@4300-STACK> show virtual-chassis vc-port
fpc0:
Interface   Type              Trunk  Status       Speed        Neighbor
or                             ID                 (mbps)       ID  Interface
PIC / Port
1/1         Configured         -1    Up           40000        1   vcp-255/1/0

I would expect this to come up at 1Gb if that was the case. The QFX5100s also
refuse to bring up those DACs even if they are the only cables available.