On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 10:04:00AM +0000, Adam Vitkovsky wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'd like to ask if the "90's" way of BGP generating updates per peer-group
> is a cause for concern on a modern gear.
> And if not then anyways am I the only one missing some flexibility in
> BGP peers configuration in Junos?
> It's really annoying that every time one needs to adjust something for a
> peer, might even be something session related, a new peer-group has to be
> carved up.

Is creation of new peer-group really needed ?

We have absolutely no problems configuring common settings at group-level
and customized settings at peer level:

s...@rt.ov.spb> show configuration protocols bgp group DownLinks
type external;
import deny_any;
export eBGP_to_customer_default;
remove-private;
multipath multiple-as;
/* typical customer setup, only import policy modified */
neighbor XX.XXX.XXX.XX {
    description ".......................";
    passive;
    import eBGP_from_Customer1;
    peer-as 123456;
}
/* another customer who wants default route together with full-view,
   so export policy customized too */
neighbor XX.XXX.XXX.XX {
    description "....................";
    passive;
    import eBGP_from_Customer2;
    export [ default_originate eBGP_to_customer_default ];
    peer-as 123457;
}
/* yet another customer, multihomed (thus metric-out) and with personal
   prefix-limit, prefix-filter is not enough in this case */
neighbor XX.XXX.XXX.XX {
    description "..........................";
    metric-out igp;
    passive;
    import eBGP_from_Customer3;
    family inet {