If I recall correctly, the base address of a subnet was originally used as an alternative broadcast address by some ancient equipment. While it's not a behavior I'd expect to see actively used in modern equipment, seeing it handled as a special case as a receiver doesn't surprise me.

Based on this, it looks like it's handled as a directed broadcast:

https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junose10.3/information-products/topic-collections/swconfig-ip-ipv6/id-25742.html

Frank Sweetser fs at wpi.edu    |  For every problem, there is a solution that
Manager of Network Operations   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute |           - HL Mencken