Hello-

I know there have been a million threads on this topic, but I don't see this
particular variant being discussed.

To date we have managed our Juniper devices inline [via lo0, default address
selection] instead of via fxp.  However, I would like to collect syslogs from
backup RE so I have begun connecting re0 and re1 fxp0 interfaces and using
backup-router/inet6-backup-router via re0/re1 groups with the master-only flag
for basic IP connectivity and monitoring.

I have observed that despite lack of RPD, the backup RE still has all of its
interfaces connected [including lo0], and we use default-address-selection, so
backup RE sources from lo0 meaning that by IP address I cannot tell if the
syslog is coming from master RE or backup RE.

Other than resorting to commit scripts, I couldn't figure out a way to continue
receiving syslogs from lo0 [via default address selection] from master RE but
use backup RE's fxp0 address as source for backup RE traffic.

I've read about the alternatives [logical systems, everything else in a vrf].
Not going down that path, I'd rather live with suboptimal if that's the only
way.

-Michael