Interesting, in the kernel versions I tested I was not able to get it to work by just passing in the runtime changes to /sys/class/net/<bridge>/bridge/group_fwd_mask, I actually had to make changes to virtual bridge header file and recompile the kernel as there are/were safeguards in place to prevent someone from just making the runtime changes, which makes sense because this is a potentially dangerous change. Recompiling is not a big deal, but would be interested to know which kernel versions you were able to get that to work with just runtime changes as that would save some time.

Cheers,

-C