Hi Alex,

Just to add a little extra to what Charles has already said; The EX4600 has
been around for quite some time, whereas the QFX5110 is a much newer
product, so the suggestion for the QFX over EX could have been down to
this.

Have a look at the datasheets for any additional benefits that may suit one
over the over, table sizes / port counts / protocol support etc etc. If in
doubt between the two, quote out the solution for each variant and see how
they best fit in terms of features and CAPEX/OPEX for your needs.

Just to echo Charles, remember that a VC / VCF is one logical switch from a
control plane perspective, so if you have two ToR per-rack, ensure that the
two are not part of the same VC or VCF. Then you can afford to lose a ToR /
series of ToRs for maintenance without breaking a sweat.

HTH,
Graham

Graham Brown
Twitter - @mountainrescuer <https://twitter.com/#!/mountainrescuer>