On 2019-03-26 21:11 -0400, Jason Lixfeld wrote:

> Not a solution, but an ignorant question - Is there a function to
> kill (and/or restart) the process in this type of scenario?  On
> IOS-XR, there were specific XR CLI wrappers for restarting a process
> as a means to fix stuff like processes run amok without having to
> reboot the box (or RE/RSP/LC/whatever was misbehaving).

There is a restart command in Junos, which does exactly that.  E.g:

    bellman@Chili4> restart jsd
    JET Services Daemon started, pid 62402

However, it can only restart certain processes (on my switches, I see
64 possible daemons in the help when I press "?"), and ICMD does not
seem to be one of them.  (But that's on an EX4600 running 18.4R1; and
/usr/libexec/icmd doesn't even exist on it.)

Also, sometimes the name of the process binary does not match exactly
with the argument you are supposed to give to the restart command, so
you may need to think a little bit to figure that out.

(On 18.3, we had similar problems, but with jsd and ga-nrpc; after a
few weeks, they started using 100% CPU.  Restarting them helped, but
after another couple of weeks they ran amok again.  Doesn't happen in
18.2 or 18.4, though.)

        /Bellman