On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 at 04:27, Jared Mauch <ja...@puck.nether.net> wrote:

> Is there a reason to not do 4x10G or 1x100G?  It’s cheap enough these days.
> If they’re in-datacenter I can maybe understand 40G but outside the DC it’s
> unclear to me why someone would do this.

Agreed. 40GE future looks extremely bad. This gen is 25G lanes, next
gen is 50G lanes. QSFP56 will support 8 or 4 lanes at 25G or 50G. So
you can get perfect break-out, without wasting any capacity. Commonly
today 40GE port density is identical to 100GE density, wasting 60% of
your investment, just to avoid using gearboxes and retimers.

--
  ++ytti