On 03.11.2023 16:04, Chris Wopat wrote:

We use them on MX304 at 10g, primarily to get DWDM SFP+ to work. MTU is fine, it's 9k as a part of LACP on a recent deployment. The adapter simply passes through lane :0 to the port when configured as QSFP+. If you insert the adapter and no optic, the device is unaware of its existence - you only see the SFP+ info.

This is the same use case as for us, and my understanding is exactly that they are just passing a single lane through, and should not really know anything about packets or ethernet frames or anything.

But still - people more knowledgeable than me - assure me that there is a limit of 2008 Bytes MTU - at least for 1G.

I just can't find this documented anywhere, and I would have thought that more people would have made more fuss about it when they start using it if this is a real issue.

We haven't tested in prod on 1g but i think we did in the lab. can probably toss something in there if you're really curious. I think the juniper supported optic page lists QSA adapter support or not. I thought it was generally supported with Junos 20+ nowadays.

Yes. They list QSA adapter as supported, also for 1G optics, and don't write anything about any MTU limitations in the Hardware Compatibility Tool.

/Ola (T)