Hello everyone,

I'm trying (and failing) to get gNMI running on an MX960. All I'm
getting are weird errors. Has anyone successfully used gNMI
subscriptions on an MX box for streaming telemetry? If so, which
config did you use on the box and in the client?

My config on the MX is this:

set system services extension-service request-response grpc ssl address
10.4.0.78
set system services extension-service request-response grpc ssl port 30030
set system services extension-service request-response grpc ssl
local-certificate gnmi
set system services extension-service request-response grpc skip-authentication

set security certificates local gnmi "-----BEGIN PRIVATE
KEY-----\n[...]\n-----END CERTIFICATE-----\n"

First I had port 3060 which produced weird errors but nothing else.
Moving the gNMI service to port 30030 at least made the gNMI
connection succeed. Then I got weird gRPC errors, so I upgraded JunOS
on the box to 21.2R3-S5.4.

Now, when I try to subscribe to interface counters:

subscribe = {
        "subscription": [
        {
                "path": "/interfaces/interface/state/counters",
                "mode": "sample",
                "sample_interval": 10 * 1000000000,
        },
        ],
        "mode": "stream",
        "use_aliases": False,
        "encoding": "proto",
}

All the box does is spew back an gNMI error that Qos is not
supported. WTF?

"UNKNOWN:Error received from peer ipv4:10.4.0.78:30030 {grpc_message:"Qos not
supported", grpc_status:12, created_time:"2024-03-07T16:20:41.756921+01:00"}"

On Arista this worked right after gNMI was enabled on the Switch.

Am I missing something? It should not be this hard to get this
working!

Best Regards

Sebastian

            -- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant