How IP options work is platform specific.

It used to be that _transited_ IP-options were not subject to the lo0
filter, while still being risk for RE, so you'd implement
forwarding-filter, where you'd police IP-options or drop out right.

In more recent junipers, this behaviour has been changed so that
transited IP-options are subject to lo0 filter, which makes it in
practice impossible to determine if IP-option is transit or punt,
especially if you run L3 MPLS VPN.

I tried to argue that the new behaviour is PR, but didn't have enough
patience to ram it through.

So basically no one knows what their policy regarding transit IP
packets are, and most accidentally change the policy from 'transit
all, unlimited' to 'transit none' by upgrading devices. Of course
generally this is the case for most things.

On Mon, 13 May 2024 at 13:36, Martin Tonusoo via juniper-nsp
<juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> got it, thanks.
>

> Lee,
>
> the README of your repository provides an excellent introduction to RE
> filtering. Based on your filters, I moved the processing of the IP
> Options from edge filters to RE filters:
>
> https://gist.github.com/tonusoo/efd9ab4fcf2bb5a45d34d5af5e3f3e0c#file-junos-re-filters-L574:L585
>

> Martin

  ++ytti