Hello Raymond,

in the link you posted, the author decided to ignore the server
certificate. While this is a common "solution" for accepting non-default
certificates, it is also insecure.

On a high level, you need to tell the TLS/SSL logic to trust the
certificate which the administrator gave you. This can either be done by
adding the certificate to the default trust store, or by specifying a
custom trust store with that certificate when opening the LDAPS connection.
I'd prefer the second approach, because that certificate is only useful for
the LDAPS connections.

For the first approach, you'll need to figure out which trust store is
being used. If it is the one from the certifi package, you can update it as
described here:
https://incognitjoe.github.io/adding-certs-to-requests.html

For the second approach, this is where the LDAP connection is being opened:
https://github.com/jupyterhub/ldapauthenticator/blob/master/ldapauthenticator/ldapauthenticator.py#L276

And here's some documentation for configuring TLS with ldap3:
https://ldap3.readthedocs.io/ssltls.html

I'm afraid there's a gap here, because the code uses a Connection object,
while the documentation talks about a Server object. But maybe someone more
familiar with the APIs can provide further guidance.

hope this helps,
  Roland