This won't be the answer your looking for but I would suggest switching to
ZOHO mail. Gmail has become more and more intrusive. It wants to know all
of your email clients and if it's not one that has some deal with them (I'm
guessing) it won't work. I still have lingering gmail accounts that I check
on my phone but most have my traffic and all of the important traffic is
now through ZOHO.  It's business oriented (so very clean) and free at least
for private use (I don't know their agreement).

Anyway, I think you should get a "Someone has your password" email in your
account. Check via the web portal. I think (if I remember correctly), you
can tell it that it was you (dbl check the location) and it will give you
instructions on you to add the device to your account. It may not always
work. I don't think it works for Linux. It'll work with Mac, Android and
the more common stuff. Good Luck