By default K-9 Mail marks messages as read when you open them. The app
also supports a view of a folder where only unread messages are
displayed. If you're in that view, opening messages will make them
disappear from that list (because they are no longer unread). However,
your message is not deleted.

In K-9 Mail 5.600 there are two ways to get into a filtered message list
view.

1. Clicking the number of unread messages in the account list or in the
folder list
2. Checking "Notification opens unread messages" in account settings and
clicking on a notification for a new message