From: "Beverly Hernandez - About Guide to Homeschooling"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thu, 16 May 2002 07:22:56 -0500
Subject: ABOUT HOMESCHOOLING -- State History and Activity Books -- From About

SPONSORED LINK
Teacher Certification
Free online resource provides state-specific certification requirements,
renewal forms, planning strategies, and tips for managing paperwork.
Register today for a chance to win a Dell laptop computer.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/   (Cost to Advertiser: $0.47 )

NEWSLETTER SPOTLIGHT
State History and Activity Books
Children all over America are required to study the history and geography
of their state, usually in the 4th grade. Here are my top picks of state history
and activity books to help homeschoolers accomplish this task.
http://homeschooling.about.com/library/weekly/aa051402a.htm

FEATURED ITEMS
State Unit Studies
State Unit Studies created to help students learn the geography of the
United States and learn factual information about every state.
http://homeschooling.about.com/library/blstateunit.htm

Charles Lindbergh Story
Charles Lindbergh began the first transatlantic solo flight on May 20,
1927. Learn all about it in this online comic book.
http://homeschooling.about.com/library/bllindbergh.htm

May Funday Calendar - Love a Tree Day
Celebrate a holiday or special day every day in May. Today is Love a Tree
Day - learn all about trees!
http://homeschooling.about.com/library/weekly/aa050100a.htm

Student Showcase: Freedom
Read this weeks selection submitted by Dylan Julian, age 6. Submit articles
(stories, poems, jokes, etc.) written by your children for inclusion in the newsletter
and Student Showcase.
http://homeschooling.about.com/library/weekly/aa012601a.htm

FROM THE HOMESCHOOLING FORUM
Personal Opinion
"I have been reading the posts in here for about three months now and I
hear a lot on how the school system is putting their ideas of how children should
learn in the
heads of our children. I thought about this and came to the conclusion that they are
not only doing
this to our children, they are also doing it to us as parents..." SUNRISE862
http://forums.about.com/ab-homeschool/messages?msg=4431.1

Poor reader at end of first
"I have posted about my ds before with testing and just had an informal
evaluation done at ps to see where he would place in their reading program of 9 being
best down to
1...well, it was not so great and actually a bit worse than I thought, she said he
would be just
above the need for remedial help (I figure about a 2 or 3). Well I knew he struggled
and we are working
on it..." HOME4THEM
http://forums.about.com/ab-homeschool/messages?msg=4442.1

'TIL NEXT TIME...
Stop by the discussion forum for answers to your homeschooling questions:
http://forums.about.com/ab-homeschool/start

Remember to take steps to keep your children safe on the internet. If you
have any questions about how to do this, email me or visit Internet Safety on my site.

SPONSORED LINK
Language Tune-Up Kit Phonics
Remedial reading software for those who currently read at grade level 0-4
and are age 7 through adult. Uses Orton- Gillingham phonics to achieve an 8th grade
reading level!
http://www.jwor.com/   (Cost to Advertiser: $0.46 )

SUBSCRIPTIONS
If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to email me.
Visit the following page for contact information:
http://homeschooling.about.com/mpremail.htm

Beverly Hernandez
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
For Past issues of the newsletter visit The Newsletter Archive
To Advertise in this newsletter visit Be an Advertiser
NEW: Please note that we have updated our Privacy Policy (click here to
read). About is committed
to protecting your personal information.
About
1440 Broadway 19th Floor NY, NY 10018
The Human Internet
http://About.com